Old 04-03-2005, 06:11 AM
HC

Hey, Xmas has come to my house!!! This morning as I was at the kitchen
sink doing the washing up I watched FOUR water dragon babies darting
around catching insects. They are so cute!! The smallest baby, body
length approx 40mm, had around half it's tail missing but it was still
breaking the sound barrier....gee, they can run fast.

Two of them are the grey, of the previous Gippsland Water Dragons, and
the other two, are a dirty brown colour, which I suspect could be
Easterns....time will tell.

I had planned to put a water feature in the garden, now I WILL put one
there, just for them. I'll have to dig carefully though (once the
weather is a bit cooler) because they are in the vicinity of where I
want to sink the main pond. A terracotta 'lady' who sits cross-legged
will be the feature and I'm hoping a large terracotta bowl I have can be
used for the first pond after the water spills over from the ladies
hands. Then I'll probably buy a black poly trough from the farm supplies
shop and sink this 'almost' level with the ground. 'Almost' so that
rain water doesn't flood this main pond.

The terracotta 'lady' has a small gap under one elbow and I'm hoping to
slide the plastic tube from the pump through this gap. Just need to
figure out water capacity and get a suitable pump. There will be ferns
etc around this feature so the dragons and other lizards have got plenty
of hiding places. Then, I'll be on the warpath for the rotten cats.

Any thoughts on my planned water feature? Of course, they are only
'thoughts' at the moment because once I start on the project changes
might have to be made. No big deal though.

Bronwyn ;-)

John Savage wrote:

HC writes:

Rod.....I agree with your comment about them not breeding until adult
colouration has been reached, but I haven't seen an adult around, that's

I haven't followed this thread that closely, but go to http://www.aj.com
and type in "at what age do australian water dragons breed?" and this will
turn up a lot of info (and perhaps more usefully, herp sites to explore).