Old 04-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Kathryn Burlingham

Default Suggestions anyone?

Anyone feel like helping me brainstorm ideas for what to plant in front
of my north facing porches? I'm thinking something that grows about 2-3
feet high, looks decent all year (deciduous is fine if it's still
reasonably attractive denuded), with at least one period of Really Nice
(blooming especially would be nice, but I'll take fun foliage or
seedpods or fruit), and will tolerate partial sun/ partial shade and
live without too much babying from me, including getting through the
summer in Portland without having to be watered much once it's established.

I'm toying with the idea of azaleas, but the foliage doesn't thrill me,
and since that's mostly what we'd be looking at all year I'd like some
other suggestions. Any good ideas? I'd like to consider all options,
though I'm really liking the thought of something that at least at some
point throws out a nice flame-orange or purple or the like.