Old 04-03-2005, 03:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:12:26 -0600, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

I can't help with the waterfall but the other pond plants are usually
available for sale around the last frost date. Many stores carry them much
cheaper than you'll find online. Almost all of mine came from Lowe's, Home
Depot and Wal-Mart. A few came from a local riverside.

You haven't shopped Portland, OR. I blanched at some of their prices. Sure
made me feel good though when I sell my extra canna's for $5 an one
Portland place had same (and not as nice looking I might add) for $22!!!
Course I'm not a store, just a hobbyist selling a few divides, so don't
have the overhead, but still.... $22!!!!

To 99windstar, for the waterfall, have you been to Sunset Koi & Gardens in
Beaverton? This is a treat, the most fantastic Koi & Plant store I've yet
to visit. (I've shopped at home Tri-Cities, WA, Spokane, and hit a few in
the Seattle area). Sunset even beats Moorehaven in my book, though
Moorehaven is pretty impressive.... but I digress....

Back to a plant for the waterfall, at Sunset K&G they have a fern like
plant growing on many of their waterfalls. I didn't get the name of it,
because I didn't think it would grow here in the desert. Low & behold, this
last summer I found the same fern like plant growing on the little
waterfall I run all winter. At first I thought, ah ha! It is because I let
the water trickle all year around. But no, I think it was this fern type
decoration I once got that you spray with water to keep alive. I was told
it would go dormant if not watered. Well inside I always forgot and it
never looked that great. So last summer I put it by the main water fall
under the Japanese maple, where the micro sprinkler would mist it daily. I
think it put off spores and that's how I now have it on the rocks. One
thing about it, it sure stopped the algae from forming on the rocks, and
what a natural filter, it is still green, even in the cold water.

Kathy, just so you know, I plan to give a bit to you and Bonnie to grow
this year. See if we can make a little "market". ;o)

So 99 if you find out what it is, let me know. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a