Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Charles

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:14:36 GMT, Elaine T
wrote:

Charles wrote:
I have two ten gallon tanks. One is generally choked with
Vallesneria, in the other one I can not get Vals to grow at all, the
roots die off.

Same lights, same water (Hard tap water) same substrate (pottery clay
beneath commercial aquarium gravel).

The only difference that I can identify is that in the one without
Vals I have a form of string algae growing.

Do the tanks have the same CO2 level? Different amounts of surface
agitation could be driving off CO2 in one tank but not the other.

Also, do they have the same fish, shrimp, and snails? You could have a
fish or shrimp that picks at val roots, snails in the substrate eating
roots, or different N and P levels from slightly different stocking.

I don't add CO2, so whatever they have is what they have. Endler's
livebearers in both tanks. All my tanks are infested with trumpet
snails, they may be MTS, but I have no way for sure to identify them.
Oh, and the same type filters most of the time, aqua-clears hanging on
the back. the one with lots of vals doesn't have a filter right now,
it's down for repair.

The difference between the two tanks has persisted for a couple years.
Just weird.
--
Charles

Does not play well with others.