Old 04-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kanter
ups.com...
The road is scheduled to be widened in front of a 20 acre parcel I'm developing. I'd like to plant a natural thorny barrier that would be nicer looking than a fence and could stop a car. Any ideas for shrubs or small fast-growing trees that would make a good security hedgerow in Central Florida? Preferably something without a lot of messy fruit, too.

I don't know about stopping a car, but barberry will put most people or animals in a world of hurt, or maybe the emergency room. You'll need heavy duty clothing and leather gloves to trim them once or twice a year.

Hi Skip,

I'm thinking a shrub rose would work and the suckering canes might possibly hold back a car if it wasn't going to fast. Look for one that reblooms for a long season of interest and that is tall or medium tall. The old fashioned ones are more carefree and disease and pest resistant. I'm thinking that your site is full sun. You will need to know your plant hardiness zone, which I suspect is 9. Here's a zip code zone finder.
http://www.garden.org/zipzone/

Here's some ideas.
Carefree Delight
http://www.naturehills.com/new/produ...efee+Del ight

Also think about China roses. They rebloom (remondant) and are carefree. Some that should fit your needs are Old Blush, Archduke Charles and Cramoisi Superieur.
http://www.roseinfo.com/rose_guide.html

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.