Old 04-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Anonny Moose

"Kathryn Burlingham" wrote in message
Anyone feel like helping me brainstorm ideas for what to plant in front of
my north facing porches? I'm thinking something that grows about 2-3 feet
high, looks decent all year (deciduous is fine if it's still reasonably
attractive denuded), with at least one period of Really Nice (blooming
especially would be nice, but I'll take fun foliage or seedpods or fruit),
and will tolerate partial sun/ partial shade and live without too much
babying from me, including getting through the summer in Portland without
having to be watered much once it's established.

I have a low hedge of Daphne odora growing along the north side of my house.
It's blooming right now (I'm north of you on Sauvie Island) and the scent is
fabulous. Not exactly the colors you wanted, but it is an attractive plant
all year and low maintenance, too.
Karen