Old 04-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Radika

Michelle wrote:
... I thought roses lasted a lot longer than that. I actually wasn't
aware that they had a life span at all. Does anyone know if this is
actually true? If it is true, does anyone have any suggestions for
colorful, fragrant roses that will last longer than 6 years in a
planter? I am lazy and don't like having to replant. I have roses
because they are beautiful and don't require a great deal of
attention, except at pruning time. Thanks in advance for any
suggestions and info.

Michelle, this writer has something useful to say about growing roses in
Arizona:
http://www.allwoodwork.com/article/g...the_desert.htm
including the statement "In Arizona, where delicate hybrid roses often
have a short life span or require constant care, my roses are almost
seven years old and virtually carefree."

That, of course, is one gardener's experience in Arizona.

There is always the example of that fabulous, fabulous specimen of Lady
Banks Rose that is in Tombstone, AZ, that is stated to have been planted
in 1885, and thrives full well and famously to date. Its 119th blooming
will be celebrated this April, and it will be well worth the visit:
http://www.tombstone.org/events/rose.html
Here is an article including its photo and the tid-bit that Robert
Ripley himself dubbed it the world's largest rose plant in 1937, and how
that is undisputed to date, etc.:
http://www.mediterraneangardensociet....Tombstone.cfm

Here is further info on Lady Banks:
http://www.ph-rose-gardens.com/00108.htm

I have Lady Banks Lutea, the yellow double version and absolutely love
this rose. In my area, it is one of the earliest roses to bloom in
spring, and coincides with one of the kinds of Wisteria (Chinese or
Japanese, I am not sure which, I always get them mixed up) blooming. It
is an explosive (and I really mean that - absolutely explosive) once
bloomer here, as is the white Lady Banks:
http://www.zanthan.com/gardens/garde...es/001027.html

I have heard tell that the White Lady Banks (and perhaps also the
single-flowered yellow Lady Banks, may be, but this one I hear is hard
to find?) has 3 to 4 repeat bloom cycles (smaller in size than the first
one, but definite bloom cycles) after the initial explosion in Southern
California. If your climate mimics in anyway what happens in Santa
Clarita Valley, I bet it will rebloom for you too. Here is something on
both the white and yellow Lady Banks:

http://www.napagarden.com/pages/Roses/roses15.html

I read a long time ago in Rosemary Verey's book 'The Scented Garden' that
Zephirine Drouhin is a very long-lived rose, spanning centuries. So, I
planted it for that reason as well as for the love of its thornless
canes and cerise pink blossoms. I do love this rose to excess, it does
very well in my climate and here are some links to Rosemary Verey's book
and to Zephirine Drouhin pictures:
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/bibli...2-0394579909-1
http://roses.toytrains1.com/zephirine_drouhin.htm
http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/zepherine.html

According to this article, the rose Golden Celebrations is well known
for its longevity, but note that the article seems addressed to
gardeners in the Pacific Northwest and heaven knows how things work out
for this rose in your climate:
http://www.rosemagazine.com/pages/davidaustin1.asp

I too like growing perennials in general and roses which are also
perennials for much the same reasons as you cite. So, I understand your
parameters indeed! All the best in all your roses coming up roses.

--
Radika
California