Old 05-03-2005, 02:33 AM
fran

I'm in NC with heavy red clay. I just break up the clay, mix in some
organic matter and top soil, and plant. I've never had a rose die of
lack of nutrients or water. I've lost plenty to Black Spot, but not
to the clay soil.

Don't bother with the special soil for roses, it'll only waste your
money.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 23:06:34 -0500, "Aunty Kreist"
wrote:

We do have soil that has heavy orange colored clay. I usually get a bunch of
topsoil every year, and had wanted to dig out a hole 2x what's needed for
the roses, fill with the topsoil, then put the roses in. I saw at Home Depot
that they also sell soil especially for roses, I might try that out and see
how it works.

--
Shez
Shez's Garden at