Old 05-03-2005, 05:47 AM
Kenneth D. Schillinger

It sounds like your plot isn't too large so you may be a good candidate for
an old fashioned scythe. They can often be found rather cheaply and if you
are good at sharpening blades they work well.
While I don't use it much now, I still have my grandfathers scythe that I
learned on about forty-five years ago.
If anyone goes this route it helps a lot to have some instruction on proper
form. Don't use just your arms, use your whole body.
Best, Ken..

--
All incoming and outgoing mail scanned using Norton Anti Virus, by the
shores of beautiful Puget Sound.
"Kathy" wrote in message
I'm thinking about some fall-planted clover or vetch for a cover crop. I

was
pleased with the result when I cover cropped years ago, but we had a

bigger
plot then, with a rototiller and a winter-buckwheat that grew near

shoulder
high. We don't have the space or the rototiller any more. I'm wondering if
I'd be in over my head if I planned to hand spade and hoe about 500 square
feet of legumes. Is there anyone out there doing cover crops with just

hand
tools? How difficult is the spring work?

Kathy