Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Chookie

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

On our national gardening show (on ABC tv) Peter Cundall was talking
about pumpkins, and said growers should not to be reluctant to pinch
off the tips of long runners, this forces side runners to grow and it
is these side runners that bear the female flowers. So you will have
more pumpkins if you pinch off the tips of the main runners.

Anyone heard of this before?

Heard it, but we've just let our vines run rampant and we now have Quite
Enough pumpkins, thank you! We've got Galeax D'Eysines and what is probably
Qld Blue. The GAleaux D'Eysines pumpkins start off the colour of butternut
pumpkins, but are round like Qld Blues. As they get bigger, they develop
hugely unattractive warts and bumps, like the pebbles of the Eysine Mountains,
which is where the name comes from. Hideous, but apparently they taste good.
We'll see!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.