Old 05-03-2005, 01:11 PM
~Roy~

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:06:30 -0800, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 02:53:39 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
===
===I had cattails,
===and had to remove them because they took over the entire pond, perhaps
===I will try a dwarf variety.
===
===I've got a pot of the dwarf variety, very easy to control, but I think I'm
===going to divide and sell it off this year. Reason, by fall it looked kind
===of messy, and it is a difficult plant to get out of the pot and divide.
===Plus, the wind was always blowing it over.
===
===I've also gotten to where I enjoy the water-conditioned cannas more than
===many of the hardy marginals. Come fall, when the cannas come out, I put
===several pots of iris in there place. They grow and bloom before the cannas
===are hardened off, thus plant filtering the pond in spring, then I move them
===to these pots I've got out by the front door. Looked pretty cool last year,
===as long as the paper boy didn't wack them or drown the paper in them.
=== ;o) ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

I have never had any luck with the dwarf variety of cat tails either,
even growiing in a natural pond. Seemed just a slight breeze would
break or bend them over.......I do have lots of regular cat tails and
have no problems keeping them under control, but have since pulled a
lot of them up and replaced them with thick stands of Iris.