Old 05-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:

But pumpkins are much like good winter squash, and are therefore in
season five or six months a year. [Maybe. Now that I think about it, I
realize that I don't really know if pumpkins keep as well as, say,
those Ambercup squash I was raving about. Do they?]

GOOD winter squash? Surely you mean BAD winter squash, or don't you
grow good ones (C. maxima varieties, not C. pepo, as I understand it)?
None of the latter (which includes pumpkins) have anywhere near as
much flavour and 'solidity' as the hubbard types (which I think are
C. maxima). Butternut etc. are C. moschata, which I find slimy and
sickly.

I don't know Ambercup squash.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.