Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Norma Briggs

Good points you raised Newt.

This is a new spot.

I had thought of the plastic because I have read about solarizing the
soil. -but am thinking now that was with clear plastic.

See this is why I asked BEFORE I started.

I wonder if I get the area reasonably grass free and put down compost,
cardboard and newspapers along with a thick layer of hay if that would not
be better in the long run.

I might even experiment with seaweed since it is not only plentifully but
free, minus the price of gas to go get it. I figure, correct me if I am
wrong, that even if it is built up some while I am waiting for the mixture
to decompose, eventually it will decompose enough to be able to till back
into the soil.

Thanks for the food for thought.

Norma
"Newt" wrote in message
news:1110053411.04a92a393f3cfec76ee8dd8f0aea1d0c@t eranews...

Norma Briggs Wrote:
I have read the advice on this wonderful group for the last 3 years and
want
to say thanks for all the wonderful posts. I have learned much.

I have gained enough love of gardening and confidence now to expand
from my
tiny reserved spot and want to get another space prepared, I understand
that
it really may not be ready for edibles until the next growing season
or
maybe fall crops.

The space I am using now never had grass on it because of trees which
had
over grown on my lot- So I did not have to remove grass, once the tree
was
gone there was/had been years of organic matter and the soil was filled
with
earth worms. I tilled in some compost and peat moss to loosen things up
bit, since being on the Gulf Coast of Texas just north of Galveston
Island
our soil is like a patch of black concrete if not amended.

I really would like to avoid toxic chemicals if possible, especially
being
so close to the bay (maybe 1/2 a mile-if that far) since I know now
the
effect round up and fertilizers have on the ecosystem of Galveston
bay.

I have considered doing this:
1. setting the lawnmower on stealth mode to cut the grass to the
quick.
2. laying a thick layer of card board on top of the former grass
3. putting the grass clippings on top of the cardboard
4. maybe some plastic sheets, anchored down on top of all that and
just
going away for a few months to let it all decompose and the rest of
the
grass die
5. and because of the ascetics, maybe putting some kind of more
attractive
mulch down on top of the plastic.

I could build a raised bed, but from my experience the water drains out
of
them faster and since our summers are HOT and often dry (at least till
it
floods-not much in between here), I am thinking it might be better to
go
down not up.

Also, I have considered buying some of those plastic swimming pools
and
drilling holes in the bottom for drainage and using the square foot
method
until the grass is dead under the pools next spring, then using that
spot.

Does anyone have a better idea or advice? Pros/cons ?

Thanks all!

Norma

Hi Norma,

Lots of what you have done and plan to do sounds great, but I'm a

Then you said:
"I have considered doing this:
1. setting the lawnmower on stealth mode to cut the grass to the
quick.
2. laying a thick layer of card board on top of the former grass
3. putting the grass clippings on top of the cardboard"

So I'm confused as to whether you have grass where you want to prepare
a bed or if this is another bed.

If you are going to shear the grass on another part of your lawn just
to get grass clippings, I wouldn't recommend that if you don't have the
type of grass that likes to be sheared. If you do have grass where you
want to plant, then the best thing to do would be to either remove the
grass with a flat shovel or sod stripper, which you can rent. You can
let the grass decompose in a separate spot or turn it upside down in
place. Put either cardboard or 6 to 8 layers of the black printed
pages of newspaper on top. Dampen the newspaper as you go or you'll be
chasing it all over the yard and entertaining your neighbors like I did!
You could then put a layer of leaves, and/or grass clippings and/or
compost on top of that. I wouldn't suggest using the black plastic as
that will cook all those lovely worms and microbes you have worked so
hard to have. You can let that decompose over the summer. This method
is called Lasagna composting or sheet composting.
http://tinyurl.com/37rht
http://tinyurl.com/22hp5

As to adding peat moss, I don't recommend it. It will add some
texture, but compost works better and has more nutritional value.
Compost will also improve the texture of your soil. Also, peat will
retain moisture, but once it dries, it's difficult to rewet. You might
want to read here for info on peat moss.
http://www.ondelmarva.com/peat.html
http://tinyurl.com/6odtz

Here's some sites on the soil food web and biology you should find
helpful.
http://tinyurl.com/69rfy
http://www.soilfoodweb.com/

I don't think you need to purchase those pools. Besides, once you are
done planting you will have to do something with the soil you have in
them. Dumping it on top of the site will, in effect, give you the
raised bed and the pools will be useless with the holes and just fill
up the landfill.

So, in the end I recommend stripping the sod or covering it with
several layers of cardboard and/or newspaper and doing the lasagna
thing. You could add compost on top of that and either plant in it or
sow a cover crop (sometimes called green manure) for the summer instead
of the plastic and mulch. Then you can turn it all in come fall.
http://tinyurl.com/62ho9
http://tinyurl.com/62enx

Newt

--