Old 06-03-2005, 06:30 AM
Theo

HI Andrew
teh sealant does not stay on teh tree forever it avoid eggs molds
and water water wets cambium wood and darken and rot it this is why
sealant is placed to keep the wound insulated until theeh new bark is
formed and the wound disappear ..
if we cut our skin we know whyt can attack us teh same for plants and
if plants has a bark a reason must be
In a such a case like your the branch above the cut has to be let
grow freely to help cicatrization and to equalize as growing the size
of the under stock in time teh difference and bad wund will become
unnoticeable
this is the ABC of bonsai

Andrew G wrote:

"Rastislav Kralovic" wrote in message

I'm really puzzled about using sealants to cover cuts. The information I
managed to gather seems to be pretty inconsistent; basically, there are
people who

SNIP

I'm a beginner to bonsai and I have to decide what to use (if anything).

Is

there any general study/resource about it or is it a trial-error for each
particular location? I guess the healing process (and hence the sealant
application) depends on the species and climate?

Thank you,

Rastislav Kralovic
Bratislava,
Slovakia

As mentioned in replies to your original message. Very few tree surgeons are
now using sealants and pastes due to fear of encouraging disease.
I personally do not use anything, and have never had a problem. Be sure to
make any cuts not hold water from rain, dew, your cutting tool whatever it
may be is clean and sharp and my guess is you will never have a problem.
There is a bonsai for sale here at a local nursery. A very nice looking
olive. I have looked at it for ideas. Once when looking at it I was asked if
I would like the name of the owner to negotiate a price, as the bonsai at
this nursery are suplied by a local bonsaist (sp?).
"Nah thanks, just looking" I replied.
"Oh, ok, I thought you may have been looking to buy it, a lot of people are
put off by the sealant in the top and ask me what it is, and say that it
ruins the look of it" said the woman.
This bonsai is beautiful, however ruined by a 45 degree angle cut at the top
of the trunk which is covered by a grey sealant. Foliage does cover the cut,
but not enough, and is still visible. I think a well placed cut, with some
careful dremel carving would have looked much better.

Good luck
--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales