Old 06-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Rod

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:06:27 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:19:38 +0000, tom

wrote:

Hi All,

I have just bought a plant & it says that it likes peat soil. I

havnt
seen PEAT for sale lately & guess its nolonger available to

gardeners.

What is the best thing to use instead of PEAT for PEAT loving

plants?

Thanks

Well rotted leaf mould is fine.

That might not be acid enough for acid loving plants.

I was thinking more in terms of physical conditioning of the soil.
imho if anybody's considering growing acid loving plants in an
alkaline soil, they should think again or consider growing in raised
beds or containers. There are so many beautiful lime lovers and it is
not easy to get the pH of an alkaline soil down sufficiently to suit
the lime haters. A great many of the lime haters don't need extremely
low pH 6-6.5 is fine for many and and most won't thrive much below 5.0

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.