Old 06-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Reel McKoi

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
I believe I have a serious water quality problem, and it is causing some

of
my fish to die, 14 in the last few days: here is the problem:

I have a 3,500 gall pond, stocked with about 70 fish of varying sizes (3"

26"). Almost all the fish are huddled at the bottom of the pond in one

area,
and they are slowly dieing with a range of diseases.

## Just my opinion but it your pond is way overloaded! I have a 2,000
gallon pond and thought it was overcrowded with 25 mixed size koi and
goldfish.

I have checked the water quality and here are the results: PH 9.5, Ammonia
0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Temp 5C. I have a very good filtration system
running, which does a complete water change every 3 hours. Water is

crystal
clear. There is some algae bloom on the surface, which is unusual at this
time of year.

## A PH of 9.5????? That doesn't sound good. If I were you I would start
doing a major water change.... adding the NEW water slowly. But what is
the PH of your tap or well water? You also need to get rid of half your
fish - for the sake of the others. Ever year or two we cull ours and sell
the least attractive fish to the pond and aquarium store in town.

Now I believe that my problem is caused by the low temp coupled with the
high PH is causing some kind of ammonia poisoning even though the reading

is
low.

## I think most of your problems are caused by too many fish.

What do others think and if it is a PH problem, how to I reduce it?

Pete

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"WORK HARDER, millions in Welfare depend on you."