Old 07-03-2005, 04:03 AM
news

Default Which John Deere lawn tractor? L130 or LT190

I cut about 1.5 achers each week in the deep south... about 8-9 months of
the year. I am trying to decide between the L130 (which I had for 8 months
before it was stolen last week) and the LT190. The L130 had plenty of power
with the Kohler 23HP but I did not like the mulching capabilities of the 48"
deck. It left trails of grass and when I backed up, it left a clump in the
middle. The question is... Should I spend $1350 more (plus another $125 for
the mulching kit) for the LT190. With the LT190, I get a heavier frame,
greasable mandrils on the deck, bearings on the front axles instead of
plastic bushings, adjustable steering rods, an 18HP Kawasaki engine(5HP less
than the L130's Kohler). I believe the difference in displacement is 585cc
for the 18HP Kawasaki and 675cc for the 23HP Kohler. Will the smaller
Kawasaki have as much torque as the larger Kohler? I am not sure if the
transmission is the same on both units. They are both listed as K46
transmissions but they have different part numbers. I do not know if the
electric PTO is the same on both models. The electric PTO on my L130 went
out after only a few months. I believe the 48" cutting deck on both machines
is 11 gauge steel, but they are not identical. Am I missing something else?
Is that stuff worth $1350? Will it make the machine last some number of
years longer?