Old 07-03-2005, 09:13 AM
jane

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:13:49 -0000, "doug"
wrote:

~
~"davek" wrote in message
~
~ "jim" wrote in message
~ ...
~ is it possible to grow tomato plants from seeds taken directly from a
~tin
~ of
~ peeled plum tomatoes?
~
~ Maybe not, but reminds me that sewage farms exhibit wondrous displays of
~ tomato plants every summer. Shows how indigistible the seeds are.
~ Davek.
~
~*******
~My father, a keen gardener always averred that tomato seeds that have done
~the journey through a gut, - a human gut preferably in his case, will
~produce excellent tomatoes.
~I have grown tomatoes all my life but haven't experimented in that fashion.
~By the way, I believe "they" are trying bring find the and bring back the
~old breeds that were known for their better sweetness.
~ Excluding the "cherry tomatoes". - which, in passing , I think have lost
~their original sweetness and I believe this is maybe due to the factory
~system culture which demands perfect shape and colour for supermarkets,
~but it has been at the expense of sweetness and That breed has now a more
~insipid taste .
~Doug.
~
The latest issue of The Garden has a report on the trial of plum
tomatoes held at Wisley last summer. It gives information on how they
grew the plants, when sown and the results including tasting notes, on
both conventional sized and cherry plum varieties.

Unfortunately it's not one of the articles they've put online this
month (though there's anice one on propagation), but they gave 10
varieties out of 40 the AGM.
Santa, the cherry plum most commonly sold in supermarkets, didn't get
one as it was deemed to be inferior tastewise and in the skin's
toughness. So there are better ones around that the factory growing
people haven't found yet...

Ildi, a yellow cherry plum, grew a staggering 2700 tomatoes on four
cordon plants!! (Might have to get some of those... T&M sell them)

--
jane

Mark Twain