Old 07-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Bill B

Mike Sousa wrote:
Howdy,

I'm having difficulty getting my stone fruit trees to bear some fruit at
harvest time. Did some research and it appears that Brown Rot and
Curled Leaf are two diseases that just won't go away. I have peach,
nectarine, plum, cherry & apple trees. I live in New England.

Was hoping one of you kind folks would share some wisdom so that I can
at least see what a home grown plum tastes like.

Thanks,
-- Mike

I live in Oklahoma and "Brown Rot" is really a problem here. I have
tried "Captan" and it seems to have very little effect on the "Rot".
Nectarines seem to be the worst but now peaches are hit hard every year
even to the extent that some of the trees have died. I'm sure that
there must be a fungicide out there that would control this but I don't
think that they are available to the home gardener. I've heard that
"Spectracide" is more effective than Captan and plan to use it this year
but I'm not setting my hopes too high. Most advice I've read on the Rot
problem involves "sanitation" by making sure that all the mummified
fruit is cleaned from beneath the trees, but with the lesions that I
find on the twigs and bark seem to be a worse source of rot spores then
the mummified fruit. Any way, I've got a couple of nice stumps to sit
on now. Take a look at the following link:
http://pmo.umext.maine.edu/factsht/brwnrot.htm