Old 07-03-2005, 06:44 PM
BAC

"Mike" wrote in message

In Oz they have become aware of the unsolved problem of wind farms
producing output when it can't be used and not producing output when
it is needed, just as the Danes have after both have invested a vast
amount in wind farms. UK next?
--
Martin

"The Tide regularly Ebbs and Flows, twice in every 24 hours". Can someone
please explain to me why tidal power has not been harnessed?

Tidal flow has been used to generate electricity on the Rance estuary in
Northern France, I believe. 'Tide mills' were in use on tidal parts of
rivers back in the middle ages, and electrical generating stations would
work on a similar principal but on a much larger scale.

I don't know why no-one has yet built a tidal flow power station in the UK,
but I'd guess cost has something to do with it, plus concerns about the
effects of damming up major rivers on sewage disposal and the ecologies of
the areas which would be changed by the damming.