Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Magwitch

Johnboy muttered:

My lawns are looking very poor, 60% moss, plus white patches.

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

The ideal solution would be to remove a foot of clay all round and introduce
some organic material and fresh soil but I cant afford this.

Thanks

Rake it up and compost it, then hire a machine that takes plugs of soil out
all over, (if you can't find that use a fork) then mix sand and compost and
brush it into the holes.

Basically, you have a drainage problem **moss likes damp and you have to get
the water to drain away.