Old 07-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 7/3/05 12:28, in article , "Colette A.
O'Brien" wrote:

snip

Today, we have spotted two rats feeding on the heap. They then
disappeared under the fence but I am not sure if they are living in or
near the heap, or whether they are just visiting for a feed. They must
be living nearby.

If you go the clear out route (which I would) wear sturdy rubber gloves

and
wellies. Weil's disease contracted from rat urine is very nasty. If you
think you can kill them yourself, all well and good, if you don't, get
someone in to do the clear out and kill for you. Having a couple of
terriers standing by isn't a bad idea, either! After you've done your

clean
up, get the local council to come and put down rat poison in safe

'feeders'
which will protect domestic pets or other wildlife from picking it up. If
they won't, get a contractor who will probably make two visits for

safety's
sake. I'd get him to check outhouses and possibly the attic, too. Check

the
area regularly for any further infestations.

What should I do, and how can I make the compost heaps less attractive
for rats in future?

I wouldn't make a new heap until you're sure you've got rid of the rats
altogether. And then make sure absolutely nothing meaty or even eggy goes
onto it. That said, rats eat almost anything and I've seen them going up a
fig tree after the fruit! If you can, it might be a good idea to make it

in
a different area so that you can keep an eye on the present one, just in
case you don't get all the rats this time.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

We discovered the rats had got into our black bin type composter by
burrowing under, but the monkeys had eaten all the worms and left the veg
peelings!! I suspect yours are not living in it at this time of year but
just visiting for "lunch" once you cut of the food supply they will go
elsewhere.
I just went around the edge of ours and inserted slates vertically then laid
a path of bricks around to stop them digging, they have not been back.
In your shoes I would use the compost, tidy the area, then start afresh with
a rat proof compost heap, you can get subsidised ones from the local
councils. Sasha's remarks re gloves are a sensible precaution.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk