Old 07-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Phil L

Colette A. O'Brien wrote:
:: Hi all,
::
:: I lurk here often but don't usually contribute as I am not a very
:: knowledgeable gardener. I am looking for a bit of advice with
:: regard to rats!
::
:: We have two compost heaps side by side at the back of the garden
:: near a fence. The heaps are made of pallets and are open on the
:: top. I only ever compost raw fruit and vegetable waste as well as
:: the usual garden stuff.
::

It's the fruit and veg they are after, it would be wise to partially compost
these in a sealed plastic bucket which could then be emptied onto the heap
periodically, once they have broken down and stopped being food.

:: Today, we have spotted two rats feeding on the heap. They then
:: disappeared under the fence but I am not sure if they are living
:: in or near the heap, or whether they are just visiting for a feed.
:: They must be living nearby.
::
They are visiting, your heap is the local rodent cafe.
You can clear the heap, kill the rats, put down poison and be as vigilant as
you like, none of it will make a blind bit of difference, as long as there
is food (fruit and veg) on site, it will continue to be used as a port of
call for every passing rat.
Personally, I can't see the problem, they are walking and pi**ing all over
the garden anyway and that includes any vegetables you might be growing, the
only time they become a problem is when they get out of control and with an
unlimited supply of free food they soon will, making a nuisance of
themselves only through their numbers and so I disregard poisoning as an
option and favour the removal of their feed, once this has gone they will
simply go somewhere else.

:: The area around the heaps is untidy and needs a good clear out. It
:: is possible they are living there. Should I have a good clear out
:: and see what I find? I was going to empty the heaps shortly and
:: spread any compost that is ready over the garden. I am a bit
:: worried about what I'll find (a whole nest of them?) and of
:: catching some nasty rat-borne disease.
::
You won't disturb a nest of rats unless the heap is dry and covered, rats
are pretty much like us, they like warm and dry places to live, although
millions of sewer rats don't mind getting wet if they are likely to get a
good meal, their nests are not where water can reach them or dampness affect
their young...if your heap is a dried out, sheltered one, I would suggest
removing the top and drenching with water a few days prior to disturbing it
as a nursing mother has been known to sink teeth *deep* into the flesh in
protecting her litter and will not let go.

:: What should I do, and how can I make the compost heaps less
:: attractive for rats in future?

no food, or if you insist on (fairly fresh) fruit and veg, a sealed
unit....high sides and solid building materials such as paving flags /could/
keep them at bay but unless it's got a lid too rats *will* get in, they are
good climbers and can jump three feet directly upwards.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/