Old 08-03-2005, 04:23 AM
Travis

greetings,

our landscape architect has picked the following trees to use
in/around our patio/pool area. would appreciate any comments...

According to the Sunset Western Garden Book.

1) 3 betula nigra 'duraheat' (river birch)

50 to 90 ft tall and 40 to 60 ft wide

2) 1 magnolia butterflies

to 20 ft tall and to 15 ft wide

3) 3 lagerstoemia indica 'dynamite' (crape myrtle)

this particular one is not in the book but the sizes vary widely

4) 1 acer pal. diss. 'ever red' (laceleaf japanese maple)

a 7 ft mound

5) 2 ilex x. 'mary nell' (holly 'mary nell')

this particular one is not in the book but they vary from a small shrub
to a very tall tree

i'm a bit concerned about size of a few of the trees. the manolia
will be w/in 4 ft from our 2nd story deck. 1 of the birches will
be w/in 8-10 ft from the deck.

The birch, magnolia and the maple all lose their leaves in the fall. I
wouldn't want that anywhere near my pool.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5