Old 08-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Larry

Default fluorescent lights

Hi all! I have a question about fluorescent lights...

During the winter months I keep most of my orchids inside in a plant cart
with 3 shelves. I will move them outside once temperatures are consistently
over 60 degrees at night (I live in Northeast Florida - Jacksonville).

Each shelf has 2 fluorescent lights above them (48 inches, 40 watts ea). In
an orchid book (Ortho's "All About Orchids") it was recommended to use 4
bulbs per shelf. How critical is the number of bulbs? I would think the
number of bulbs is not as critical as is the actual amount of light.

Do you think that as long as the amount of light as measured by footcandles
is OK, 2 bulbs will suffice?

Thanks.

Larry