Old 08-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Cat

Default Who's been eating my daffs?

None of the daffs and narcissi planted I planted in one of my front
garden's borders in Autumn 03 have come up at all this Spring. They
gave us a fab display last Spring. When I dug up to see what had
happened to my bulbs, I discovered that many were rotten, and some
were apparently unaffected, but had neither root nor shoot. I
dissected one of those, to discover that it was partly rotten, and
where it was rotten, I found two types of larvae: one absolutely
minute, pure white, long little things, and the other a sort of dirty
cream coloured mini-maggot, with a little black head.
Can anyone tell me what larvae these are? Will they attack other
plants? To my surprise, there are long-established snowdrops in the
border which were totally unaffected? What can I do to get rid of
these fellas, or if they don't endanger other plants, should I simply
forget about daffs and narcissi in that border?
Thank you for any help you can provide!

Cat(h)
The world swirls...