Old 08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Tumbleweed

"Kay" wrote
I'm not sure the newts are good news for frogs. Newts feed on tadpoles.
--
Kay

It all balances out. We have many newts and many frogs. We also get regular
visits from the Heron.
The least agile goldfish long since got swallowed but the few that remain
continue to evade being eaten. (A liberal supply of rocks and old clay tubes
on the bottom of the ponds provide air-raid shelter!)
The frogs have already met and deposited copious amounts of healthy spawn.
Some of the tadpoles will help our newts to thrive, some will fatten the
dragonfly nymphs. And a few will leave the pond, evade the blades of the
lawnmower and return as adults.