Old 08-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
dfreas wrote:
Well I think the results may be in for this test. I have explosive
growth on the 6500K side of the tank....and the same thing on the 3500K
side. I forgot that two days before I changed the lights I started C02
injection.

So what did I learn? Well if you have adequate light to begin with then
adding C02 is more effective than a 0.6 watt per gallon difference in
light. As evidenced by the fact that both sides of the tank are growing
at the same rate despite the light difference - obviously C02 was more
of a limiting factor for my tank than light. I'm going to leave it the
way it is for at least a week just to be absolutely sure but in the end
I think I'm just going to go with the light that looks better. That
would be the 6500K - I don't think it's any better for the plants, but
it does look more natural. The "soft whites" reflect off of some orange
rocks I have in the tank rather harshly because of their orange
tendancy.

Yup, this all sounds about what I'd expect. One thing soft whites are
good for is to make already red plants look much more red.

This works when you're eyeballing them in real life or in photos.
These for example were shot under 80W of CF warm white:

http://images.aquaria.net/plants/Hyg...sperma/sunset/

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org