Old 08-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Bill R

Jenn Vanderslice wrote:

Hi all,

I have a project that I'm suppose to help some school children with
either this week or next.
Can some readers here suggest some seeds that are quick to germinate?
Time is an issue with this project...

TIA,
Jenn

Jenn,

Great project! There is nothing like teaching young
children about growing things.

Beans are usually a good thing to use and they usually
sprout within a week. If you soak them in warm water about
three hours before you plant them they sprout even quicker.
Radishes, Peas, and Onion Sets are fast sprouters too.

One teacher that I know uses sunflowers seeds and she does
her project in May so that the kids can start their seeds,
watch them grow for a few weeks, and then take them home and
plant them in the garden and watch them grow all summer.
Each fall her students from the past year bring her pictures
of the little sunflower they took home that grew to six foot
giants.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850