Old 08-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Nancy G.

Bob Walsh wrote:

You can use a mix of 1 pint isopropyl alcohol and one pint orange

power 409
with enough water to fill a gallon container and spray the plants

when ever
you see bugs.

The 409 loosens the waxy protection the bugs have and the alcohol

kills
them. Mealies, scale, and spider mites are susceptable.

Bob

Bob, after checking on a few other things, I modified your recipe in a
trial on a couple of my "scale" magnets. I keep spider plants as tell
tales, the scale will go to them first. The exception in the orchids
is phaius tankerville. scale love them. Whether it's due to the
warmer weather or having my plant room open for fresh air, I recently
noticed some mealie bugs on some phals.

I can't use 409, and do nearly all my cleaning with various
concentrations of Simple Green, so that is the product I used.

My first trial was 16 oz Isopropyl alcohol 70%, 1/2 Cup (4 oz) Simple
Green, and water to fill a 1 gallon spayer. I actually think the SG
may have been a little on the high side, but time will tell after I
finish testing and possibly modify the recipe. The SG label recommends
50/1 ratio for light cleaning, 10/1 ratio for all purpose cleaning. I
used a 30/1 ratio in my sprayer. Funny, you'd think they would include
a ratio for insect control.

I sprayed 1 phaius, 3 phals, and the spider plants. Will keep you
posted as to the results.

Nancy