Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 PM
ClaudCar

no Algae Fix is not Simazine. Active ingredient is polyoxyethylene
(dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride. Something
along the line of Round-Up. It is for use in ponds with LIVE plants and
fish.

Simazine is an organic white solid, used as a pre-emergence herbicide used
for control of broad-leaved and grassy weeds on a variety of deep-rooted
crops such as artichokes, asparagus, berry crops, broad beans, citrus, etc.,
and on non-crop areas such as farm ponds and fish hatcheries.
http://tinyurl.com/53he4

--
Claudia
__________________________________
"Elaine T" wrote in message
. com...
ClaudCar wrote:
it is called Algae Fix - I buy mine at http://tinyurl.com/3m3gv
and if you have anything over 100 gals, I personally would recommend

buying
the 64 ozs.

I believe AlgaeFix is Simazine. I'm not a ponder but I know it well
from aquaria. Simazine is strong herbicide and can do unexpected things
to plants as well as algae. Aquarists are generally advised to avoid it
because of its toxicity and unpredictability.

Simazine is EPA regulated because it's toxic to humans and can end up in
the groundwater. http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwh/c-soc/simazine.html

I'm new to ponding, but there's got to be a better solution than that.
Is this one of the algaes that barley straw helps with?

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__