Old 08-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Penny Morgan

If you use a rubbermaid trash can and drill holes on the sides and bottom,
it should work fine. Just make sure that the lid has a good locking
mechanism, so when you roll it around, everything doesn't come flying out.
You can also contact the Town of Holly Springs - they sell round, black
compost bins for $35 each. I believe that the City of Raleigh -- Recycling
sells them too, for about the same cost. Look in the phone book under City
of Raleigh or Town of Holly Springs. I used two of the round ones for about
5 years and they worked great. I have since moved to N. Raleigh and have a
huge pile on the back of my property - my yard is much larger and there's no
way I could contain it in the canisters.

Penny
"DonS" wrote in message
om...
Hi. My existing compost "bin" has died, and I am in search of something
replace it. It was the basic 4 pallets on end, and they have rotted.

I went by Lowe's, HD and Wal-Mart, but none had a compost bin. I thought
remember seeing one of the black plastic ones at Lowe's last year, but the
guy there swears they never carried them.

The Town of Cary web site suggests using trash cans. It said to drill
holes in the sides and bottom, and keep covered with the lid. It sounds
like
a good idea, as you could just roll the trash can to mix the contents.

I would appreciate input on what has worked best.

Thanx....don