Old 08-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Gary Woods

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

And yes I know its not hardy, I was just
gently trying to point out that with vague naming you get rather strange
advice! :~)

I just looked in a catalog: Nelumbo Nucifera 'speciosa' is the generic one
offered by a U.S. aquatic nursery; they also have a bunch of named
selections and hybrids. These are quite hardy; I grow them in a bushel
plastic tub a couple of feet deep in an earth pond, and they winter just
fine, even though the ice gets a foot or more thick in a northeastern U.S.
winter. They're easy to grow but hard to transplant- the roots are divided
in late winter before growth begins, and any damage to the buds will kill
them.

I haven't had enough seeds to make flour, but that might be an interesting
dimension to the sourdough I occasionally bake!