Old 08-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

All through my adult life I have thought of making my own JI compost,
but I never found out what loam *actually* was, and where to obtain it

RHS Enc. defines loam thus:
Highly fertile, well drained but moisture retentive soil, usually fibre-
and humus-rich, and containing more or less equal parts of clay, sand
and silt.
Chambers English Dictionary defines loam thus:
A soil consisting of a natural mixture of clay and sand, with animal and
vegetable matter: a composition basically used in making bricks.

The expressions loam, earth, dirt, soil, ground and compost are
frequently used (or misused) in urg discussions and elsewhere to
describe growing various mediums for plants.

We use our own made organic compost mixed with a little coarse sand and
a light dusting of well matured fire ash, thus we have no need for J.I.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.