Old 08-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Richard Sexton

IME Egeria needs a lot of light. More than a moderate amount. I'd strongly
recommend Ludwigia repens, common ludwigis, it loves cold (or warm,
doesn't seem to care) and grows well in moderate light.

sounds good. Moderate light is about 2W per gallon, isn't it? I love the
look of the Vallisneria (sp??) grass, but I don't think I could face the
light levels it needs (the temperature would be less of a barrier). I
like the look of the tank at the moment - I'm just about accepting the
fact I'll need to double the light level, but I don't like the very very
bright tanks, I've got mild photophobia and they look a bit dazzling to
me.

I'd say moderate light is 1-2 w/gal. I have some growing in a 1w/gal tank
and it's doing great.

Val will grow at that level, just more slowly. IME the stupid stuff takes
6 months to acclimate that utterly takes over.

You want Ammano shrimp. The other ones are more decorative than
usefull, they're just so small. A doezen ammanos will most
probably keep you algae free as long as you're not trying to use
them to clean up a tank; that is they'll keep a clean tank
clean but you can't expect a small number like that to clean
up an algae infested tank.

I don't think it counts as infested yet... I'm a bit disturbed by the
idea of buying something that could end up as goldfish food, though.
Maybe I should transfer the GF to a friendly pond sooner rather than
later, get a heater and some nice plants.
hmmmm.

The local fish store keeps their ammanos in a goldfish tank. Go figure.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org