Old 09-03-2005, 04:28 AM
Richard Sexton

In article . com,
dfreas wrote:
Very nice. I wish I could get my red plants to look as good. For some
reason the red plant I put in my tank immediately lost most of its red
and then stoped growing. Not that I have a ton of experience there -
I've tried two both of the same species (can't recall the name at the
moment). Neither died - they just refuse to grow. Some sort of red
sword plant - in fact it may have even been sold as "red sword."

A lot of things get sold as red swords. Some actually are swords;
I've seen lillies sold as "red swords".

Things that influence red in plants are bright light (the phots posted were
under 80W of compact fluorescent; the leaves were only 3-4" from the light)

Although, I get decent reds n Ludwigia repens with not much light -
plants are quite variable.

There is some chemistry to it, plants need nitrogen (and magnesium)
to make chlorophyl, so, low values in these two brings the red up.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org