Old 09-03-2005, 03:26 AM
Gene Schurg

Rob,

I have a couple of little green lizards (Anoles) that scamper around my
greenhouse. They are great fun and I chase them around with the hose when I
water. They keep crickets, flys, and crawly bugs at bay. I think they may
be eating a slug or two when they show up. Unfortunately, they also eat the
spiders. I did have a toad that was around but I haven't seen him since mid
January. I believe he survived on anything crawling around the floor like
slugs and the rolypolys.

These guys don't seem to make any progress on scale and mealies. I did the
lady bug release a year ago and they found their way out of the greenhouse
and into my garden. Not a bad thing but they didn't eat many mealies when
they were around the greenhouse. I don't have much of an aphid problem in
the yard now.

Last summer I invested in a bottle of Enstar. I did two sprays about 3
weeks apart. I covered all the plants including the underside of leaves.
When I find an outbreak now I control it by hitting the plants with Enstar
in a specific area of the greenhouse.

I only have a few soft scales and an occasional mealiebug which I can
control with my thumb or a quick spray and isolate the plant. I swear by
Enstar. A little bottle goes a long way. It is a pain in the butt to do
those first two sprays to get everything really coated but worth the work.

Good luck,
Gene