Old 09-03-2005, 04:18 PM
William Brown

If the area is depressed, you might get by by putting down some topsoil.

I think a better solution would be to build a sieve (I made one of spare
lumber and metal mesh) and dig up the dirt and rocks, separate the
rocks, then use the old dirt, some new dirt, and a lot of organic matter
to overfill the hole, being careful to compress as you go so it won't
sink as much. It will no doubt sink some over the years, but you can
add thin layers of dirt right through the grass.

wrote:

Apologies in advance but I am a complete newbie in the garden!

I want to sew some grass where the previous owner had his garden shed.
When we removed the shed we found the ground cover in pea shingle.
I've tried raking as much as I can but it's firmly mixed in with the
soil.

My question is:

Is there a problem with sewing the grass into stoney ground?
Should I just try and rake the top layer stones away once the grass has
grown a bit?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

there.