Old 09-03-2005, 05:43 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereus-validus....." wrote:

Would not recommend any of those plants for no light and high humidity
conditions. Even they will soon etiolate and die if they don't rot and stink
first!!!!

I've grown Dracaena deremensis 'Janet Craig Compacta' in salamander tanks
for thirty years. The humidity is always 100% & the roots are always
submerged & they LOVE it. I started with one plant way-back-when & have
never had to buy another, as it spreads like mad in wet gravel & no
drainage at all, with no actual soil, & fertilized by nothing but
salamander poo (with a bacter-based filter system that cycles water
through the gravel, so that the broken-down salamander poo makes great
plant food). The only problem is having to cut them back every few months
they do so well, &amp when they are about five years old the plants are so
thick & woody they're difficult to trim back effectively for a small
vivarium, so have to be replaced by their own clipped tips, which root
with 100% reliability.

-paghat the ratgirl

"Hal" wrote in message
On 8 Mar 2005 05:19:25 -0800, "ollysugar" wrote:

My new home has a bathroom with no daylight at all, and I have very
little experience with house plants.
Can anyone recommend a plant that would survive or even thrive with
just artificial light? And would I need to get a special light? HELP!,
my bathroom looks really forlorn with no (other) life in it.

Part of an article I clipped from a local paper about house plants
that need less light.
Aglaonema, Dracaena, Nephthytis, Pothos, Snake Plant, Spathiphyllum.

They need some light and I hope you success in working that out. You
might try alternating plants with better lighting locations as well as
adding a grow light for the plant you choose.

Regards,

Hal

--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he