Old 09-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:35:28 -0500, Boron Elgar
wrote:

The Cook wrote:

cumin

I buy cumin seed rather than ground. I use a coffee grinder and it
works well. Roast the seeds before grinding. If you have cumin seed,
toss a few in the dirt and see what happens.

I do this with cilantro/coriander. I go to an Asian market and get a
sizeable amount of seeds cheaply (it is likely labeled coriander
seeds) and plant regularly and liberally.

What's the summer heat like where you are?

I grow dill and cilantro as cool season crops, I plant a crop
in the spring and fall. They just bolt and go to seed in the
summer heat around here. Parsley is cold hardier than either
dill or cilantro, but it's still not too happy in the heat. Cumin
is related to parsley, but it's listed as an annual, so I was
wondering if anyone knew if it likes the heat, or I should
grow it as a cool season herb. Seed Savers says it's a
self-seeding annual, actually.

I guess I'll plant some now, but I'll hold some of the seeds
back for fall, just in case.

Penelope