Old 09-03-2005, 07:18 PM
The Cook

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:23:24 -0500, The Cook
wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Has anyone here ever grown their own cumin?

I planted a few seed about 4 days ago. Still have not germinated but
neither has much of anything else. I just grabbed some from the
container of McCormick's cumin seed.

I buy cumin seed rather than ground. I use a coffee grinder and it
works well. Roast the seeds before grinding. If you have cumin seed,
toss a few in the dirt and see what happens.

I bought some cumin seed from Seed Savers www.seedsavers.com, and
I got it started inside this weekend. It was a catalog-induced impulse
buy! I didn't even think about getting the seeds from the herbs at
the grocery store because I always buy the ground cumin.

Do you roast the seeds in the oven or in a skillet? I've roasted
poppy seeds as part of an Indian cooking class, but we "roasted"
them in a hot skillet.

Thanks for the information.

Penelope

I roast them in a skillet. No fat used.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."