Old 09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Steve J. Noll

On 8 Mar 2005 16:52:49 -0800, "kathy" wrote:

I've seen solar powered water pumps/fountains
before but today's catalog has a solar powered
air pump to 'encouraging consistently clear
and clean water'. It is $59.50. The catalog
is SolutionsCatalog.com I guess it would be
dollars to donuts, a solar powered fountain
or air pump for the health of the pond, don't
you think? Both lack running at night time
when plants switch from producing O2 to
consuming it.

I run an air pump in my deck pond, plugged
into the wall socket. Last year the deck pond
held a tropical lily. This year jan's lotus is
in there. The air pump has been taken out of the
pond and will be moved up to the deck soon.

kathy :-)

FWIW: I rigged a solar panel to one of those small battery powered air
pumps. Put the airstone in a whisky barrel water garden I have. It
just had azola and duckweed in it but got quite stinky. The small
amount of air and water circulation this added just running a few
hours during peak sunlight cleaned the water in barrel up beautifully.
The cheap air pump did not last long, though.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (USDA Zone 10)