Old 09-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Derek Broughton

~Roy~ wrote:

It should be called solar powered junk.

Probably - I haven't seen many of these toys with a big enough PV panel to
be worthwhile

Solar powered anything without
a battery backup bank is a waste of time.

Not quite true. I live off-grid, and do have a huge array of batteries.
But I also have a heat-exchange unit mounted on my south wall, powered by a
PV without battery backup. When the sun warms the air in the unit, it
pumps air through the exchanger. When there's no sun, no power - but no
heat gain, anyway.

Perhaps for a fountain without any fish, and if it happened to work
one day fine and if not fine again no big deal nothing lost but the
water display......but not if it had fish in it.

Even with fish, provided that it's purely ornamental and you don't need it
to keep the fish healthy.
--
derek