Old 09-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Katra

You can also create your own seedless watermelons out of any
watermelon...

All you have to do is to catch the bloom on the first day and place a
seeding hormone (comes in a paste form) on the pistil in the female
flower and then bag the bloom to preven any insect pollinization.

I don't know the name of the hormone off the top of my head, hopefully
someone here does. I learned about this technique from my botany
proffesor back in community college when I worked for him in his
greenhouse.

kat

In article ,
jbert wrote:

Try saving your own seeds from a seedless watermelon. They have to be
crossed pollinated by hand and then protected to prevent accidental
pollination by insects. Also, the parent crops need to be grown to
produce seeds to continue cross pollination. And hybrids that produce
seed almost always revert to their parent plants. A very labor intensive
process. Just look at an auto repair bill.

JAB

Rogerx wrote:
Many years ago, if you ordered a package of seed, you got enough to
plant a 100 ft row. Then they began selling by the ounce 1, 1/2,
1/4oz and etc. Then by the Gram (which most of us never understood)
and NOW!! it is by the "offering" (sounds religious to me).

I got my seeds from Burges and was shocked to find my watermelon had 6
seed in the package, the Cantaloupe (1 pkg had 6 and one had 7).
Cucumbers had 7(plus 1 not developed seed).

I bought a package of seedless watermelons at a local discount
store,it had 7 seeds.

I don't know why I am posting this, except I need to vent my anger,
and let people know it was not always a ripoff. QUESTION? Are their
seed companies that sell by something other than "Offers"?

Also, let't talk about Heirloom seed, (saving your own). Where is a
good source?

Have a good day! (Soy) Rogerx

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada