Old 10-03-2005, 03:50 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
Chris S wrote:
Advice, please, urglers. I have tended 12 hardwood cuttings of old,
beautifully scented climbing roses. They appear to be alive, and are
coming into leaf. At the moment they look like 8 inch stalks with 2
or 3 breaking buds, and they are in 8 inch pots - two cuttings per
pot. What should I do next - do I need to prune then again to
encourage more stems - what shape should I be looking to achieve by
the end of this season? There are two varieties of rose - at the
moment I've had to call them "a" and "b" until the parents can be
identified :-)) Looking for advice, please.

Chris S

Can't help you with the horticultural aspect (much to my grandfather's
disappointment and disgust, whilst I like roses, I don't get the same
thrill from them as he does) but, if you have a picture of the plant
in bloom, Peter Harkness's online catalogue (www.roses.co.uk) may be
able to assist you in identification. A direct link to his climbers
(including my own dearly departed grandmother) may be found here
(http://www.roses.co.uk/acatalog/Climbers.html).

Correction - that should be /Roger/ Harkness - I've called him Peter for
years, I've no idea why!
on salads.