Old 10-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Roger Van Loon

Thanks for the pictures.
I'm no botanist, but I think true Nelumbo nucifera should be more pinkish:
http://images.google.be/images?q=nel...&start=20&sa=N
I'm still thinking of a hybrid with Nelumbo lutea blood, but now I'm just guessing.
Anuhow, I can't help being jealous of your plant.
Regards
Roger.

Gary Woods wrote:

Roger Van Loon wrote:

Still... you're certain that your plant is not (for example) Nelumbo lutea (the
American lotus)?
Or, if it should be a hybrid... do you know which one?

I'm certain of nothing, since the plant I have was a replacement for a
poor-quality root (no growing "points" at all), and the nursery has been
unable to come up with a name.

They do list all their lotus as Nelumbo Nucifera in the catalog. And yes,
summers have many days in the 80sF, despite winter lows well below zero.
I'm not at all sure of the genealogy beyond that, though I know
nomenclature doesn't always "travel" well. Some innocents think we and the
Brits speak the same language, for instance.

FWIW, pictures at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~garygarli...pond/index.htm

I have more hardy water lilies, which are much easier... grown in 3-gallon
plastic pails, they can be divided every year and must be divided after 2
or 3 years.

There's more than money to be looked for in this short life of ours