Old 10-03-2005, 03:35 PM

Phaels do better in a north or east window. direct sun burns the leaves. they are
used to a canopy over them with filtered light in high sun areas of tropics. it wont
do well in the same window as a jade.
Phaels do better on a slant to prevent the collection of water in their crowns.
normally it wont hurt BUT if the water washes off a plant with bacterial rot that
will cause the crown to rot. spray is better than watering and aim for the pot and
roots. however, there are copper type antifungal, and I been told on this group a
sprinkling with cinnamon would also prevent fungus.
The major problem people have with phaels is over watering. bark is much better, and
never ever let them stand in water or they will rot. orchids are great for people
who are gone for a month at a time. they do great without watering.
something else works really well is having a fan going in the room to circulate the
air.
Phaels are easy. Ingrid

"Toni" wrote:
I dunno- I have many of these naturalized in tree crotches and I just turn
the water hose on the lot of 'em. When I first began collecting orchids I
coddled them and had loads of problems. When I started tying them into trees
and neglecting them is when I started having lots better results- healthier
plants and many more blooms.

"David Ross" wrote in message

DO NOT ALLOW WATER TO GET INTO THE
CENTER OF THE PLANT!! The plant will rot and die if even a small
drop of water reaches the center.

I dunno- I have many of these naturalized in tree crotches and I just turn
the water hose on the lot of 'em. When I first began collecting orchids I
coddled them and had loads of problems. When I started tying them into trees
and neglecting them is when I started having lots better results- healthier
plants and many more blooms.

So in my experience (in my climate at any rate) the less pampering the
better.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE