Old 10-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Rob Halgren

Wendy wrote:
Hi Bob, I would think chlorine bleach would kill a plant?

Probably not, at least at the concentration Bob is recommending. I
wouldn't use it in a fertilizer solution though. If memory serves, Wil
Neptune used to recommend a fairly high percentage bleach solution for
cleaning the walls and floors of his greenhouse, and said that it didn't
matter if it got on the plants. He sprayed that stuff around like it
was going out of style. His plants are exquisite.

Now I have read about some kind of crystals (name escapes me), that
people dose Hydrangeas to make them more blue?
Remove peterpan for email reply

Not sure what the crystals are, but color in hydrangeas is soil pH
dependent. I do not know that there is any evidence that color in
orchids is media pH dependent. Temperature dependent, light dependent,
yes. It would be interesting to find out if anybody has actually done
some experimental work to see if pH is a factor. I don't really have
the references to look that up.

Cheers Wendy

bob wrote:

I would like some vrification. I read that 1 tsp. of household bleach
in a gallon of water is good for the color of blooming orchids and use
this solution to water the plants. Any thoughts?
Bob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1