Old 10-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Aaron Hicks

Offhand, I would say the crystals were probably ammonium sulfate,
which is decent fertilizer that acidifies the soil. Dropping the pH to
around 5 will turn 'em blue. Higher than that leads to pink.

Bleach is a solution of sodium hydroxide (lye), which has a
sufficiently high pH to hold dissolved chlorine gas. This is why mixing
chlorine with just about anything else (particularly acids) tempts fate,
as it may release chlorine gas as the pH drops.

Of course, the sodium hydroxide solution has a very high pH, and-
assuming orchid flower color is pH-related- could change the coloration of
the flowers. Remember that orchid bark and other media tend to be acidic,
as does their environment in general. Something with a high pH would be
very unusual.

That having been said, I have no idea as to whether orchid
coloration is related at all to substrate pH. I don't recall ever having
heard or read about this, and I've been growing for 23 years as of april.
I would think it likely that somewhere, SOME orchid has flower colors that
are at least somewhat variable with pH, but I don't think that garden
variety phals, cattleyas, etc. vary too much with pH.

Of course, if someone has information contrary to the conventional
wisdom, I'd love to hear about it.

The address in the header isn't valid. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ