Old 10-03-2005, 06:19 PM

Steve wrote:
In article ,
Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
the walking rows in between. All the onions put up a few green
leaves and then died back. In the fall, digging in there, there was
nary a single sign of any onion ever being there. Advice for this
year?

As I understand it, the "long day" varieties of onions common up north
won't form bulbs this far south. There are "short day" varieties which
will form bulbs here. The short day varieties tend to be sweet onions
which aren't good keepers. There are also some "intermediate day"
varieties which may form bulbs and be good keepers around here, but
they tend to mature in June (same time as the short day varieties) so
it can be difficult to cure them properly.

--
Steve

I don't know that much about bulbs but the green "leaves" which I harvested
was very aromatic - better than store bought